Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the special features of your school?
- We offer American style and bilingual (Chinese and English) education.
- We have a complete elementary curriculum to help our kids develop the skills that they would need when they go study abroad.
- This is a school for kids who want to have American style education and also want to stay in Taiwan.
- Students can have an education based on American English curriculum without having to have dual citizenship.
- Besides having an English program, we also use the same Chinese curriculum/program as public schools in Taiwan.
- We prepare our kids to be able to pass the entrance exam in Taiwan and also have the abilities to study abroad.
- Sagor Bilingual School uses one hundred percent Chinese curriculum from Taiwan, English curriculum from the U.S.A, and American style education.
Differences Between Public Schools and Sagor Bilingual School
Q: What are the differences between your school and public schools in Taiwan?
- Students from Grade 1 to Grade 6 have whole day classes during the week day.
- We follow American English curriculum for elementary school and use books and materials from the U.S.A.
- We adopt American style heuristic teaching.
- The student count of every class is under 25.
- We only hire qualified teachers who graduated from teachers' colleges.
- Unlike the coordinated (team teaching) teaching of Chinese and foreign teachers in public schools, our English classes are only conducted by qualified foreign teachers.
- We believe in the happy learning teaching style. Students can attend clubs they are interested in and choose to improve skills through extracurricular classes.
- We offer school bus service.
- Every classroom is furnished with an air conditioning system and multi-media teaching equipments.
- Students are served organic food for lunch and snacks during afternoons.
- We offer different kinds of afterschool classes. Also, there are multiple piano-learning rooms in our school.
- The teachers and parents interact and communicate to better help students.
Q: How is the security system at your school?
- We have a 24-hourssecurity and monitoring system.
- We employ a security guard to keep our campus safe.
- Parents need an ID card from the school to pick their children up from the school.
Policy Regarding Student and Class Allocation
Q: How many classes and students does your school currently have?
A: There are 16 classes and 332 students in our school. We are going to increase our class count next semester. The student count may go up to 350.
Q: How many students are there in every class?
A: We only have 20-25 students per class. It is easier for our teachers to manage classes of said size.
Education and Teaching
Q: What does your school curriculum contain?
- We keep the same Chinese curriculum a public schools in Taiwan. Teachers teach the students using Mandaring in Chinese classes.
- We use American English curriculum from the U.S.A. We have Rnglish subjects such as Language Arts, Math, and Science. English subjects are conducted by foreign teachers using English.
- Chinese and foreign teachers teach Art and P.E. classes together at times.
Q: How many English classes are there in a week?
- For grades 1 and 2, there are 20 English classes in a bilingual class and 25 English classes in an experimental class.
- For grades 3, 4, 5, and 6, there are 16 English classes in a bilingual class and 20 English classes in an experimental class.
Q: Does your school follow grade 1-9 curriculum standards?
A: Yes, we follow grade 1- 9 curriculum standards for our Chinese curriculum.
Q: Do you offer swimming classes to your students? If yes, do they have to pay an extra fee?
A: Our students (grades 1 to 6) have swimming classes at the swimming facilities of Chung Hwa University. The fee is already included in the tuition fee, therefore we won't charge any extra fee for swimming classes.
Q: Does your school focus on student behavior and values education?
A: Elementary life is a very important period to develop character and good manners for kids. We believe that character education is as important as academic education.
Q: Do public school students have better Chinese skills than Sagor's students because your students have to deal with a bilingual program?
A: The students at Sagor have been working hard on learning Chinese and math since grade 1. Teachers also give them extra materials for practice. The parents of our students are very satisfied with our Chinese program.
Q: Do the students have a heavy load of homework because of the bilingual program?
A: To be honest, there will be more homework for sure. Learning is a long journey. If kids want to be good at Chinese and English, working hard is the only way to succeed. However, Chinese and foreign teachers will discuss and try to avoid giving too much homework at the same time.
Teaching and Learning Materials
Q: Who is the publisher of your Chinese textbooks?
- We only use textbooks that are endorsed by the Ministry of Education.
- Our teachers choose the best materials every school year.
Q: What kind of materials do you use for the English program?
A: We use the elementary materials from the states of California and New York.
Q: Is a Sagor graduate's English skills sufficient to keep up with junior high students from overseas?
A: Yes, the students who take the ESL courses from grade 1 to grade 6 have sufficient English skills to keep up with junior high courses and students overseas.
Q: Is a Sagor graduate's Chinese skills sufficient to keep up with junior high students from other schools in Taiwan? Is there a junior high department at Sagor?
- We use the same Chinese curriculum from public schools in Taiwan. A Sagor graduate's Chinese skills are sufficient to keep up with junior high courses and students in Taiwan.
- Yes, we have a junior high department. After students graduate from our elementary program, they can continue with their junior high education in Sagor. Besides, there are ESL classes in our junior high department so they can continue learning English.
Q: How much is the tuition fee for a semester? What are the methods of payment?
A: The tuition fee is around NT 93,000 to NT 94,000. It will not be the same for different grades because of book costs.
The tuition includes the payment for Chinese books, English books, lunch, etc. The bus service fee is not included.
There are 3 ways to pay the tuition fee.
- Payment through bank
- Payment through ATM
- Pay online through the school's website
Q: What afterschool classes does the school offer?
- We offer extracurricular classes, Chinese homework support classes, and ESL support classes after school.
- There are many kinds of extracurricular classes you can choose from, such as the game of GO (wei qi), piano, arts and crafts, diabolo, taekwondo, mental arithmetic, rock climbing, Lego, roller skating, roller hockey, ballet, wind instruments, etc.
Food and Nutrition
Q: Do you offer lunch?
A: Yes, we do. We have a dietitian that checks what is on our monthly menu.
Q: Do you have your own school kitchen or do you have somebody else cater food?
A: We have our kitchen and qualified chefs to prepare meals and snacks for us.
Q: Do you have standard facilities in your kitchen? Is the kitchen clean and well kept?
A: Yes, we do. We follow standard procedures to clean the kitchen.
Q: What are the routes of the school bus service?
A: The bus drivers pick students from their places. As long as the parents apply for it, we will make the arrangement. The school bus service go through the following routes:
- Hsinchu City area
- Jubei area
- Junan area
- Toufen area
School Schedules and Timetables
Q: What time do your students go to school? What time do they finish their classes?
A: The students have to be at school just before 8 A.M. Classes end at 5 P.M.
Q: What time does your school open?
A: We open at 7:20 A.M. during weekdays.
Q: When is the latest time I can pick my child up?
A: For students who don't join afterschool classes, it is 6 P.M. For students who join afterschool classes, it is 6:30 P.M.
Q: What if we can not pick up our child on time? Do you offer any service?
A: Yes, we do. Considering busy parents, we offer "overtime daycare service".
- 6:00 P.M. to 6:30 P.M. for $50 NT
- 6:30 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. for $100 NT
- 7:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. for $150 NT
If you are unable to pick your child up on time every day, you can apply for monthly overtime daycare service.
- 6:00 P.M. to 6:30 P.M. for $500 NT
- 6:30 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. for $1,000 NT
- 7:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. for $1,500 NT
Q: Do you accept under-aged students?
A: According to the laws of rhe Ministry of Education, we can not accept under-aged students.
Q: How do I register my child for admissions?
A: You can visit our school, go on to the school website, or fax us.
Q: Children from which school districts are allowed to register at Sagor?
A: Children who reside in Taoyuan, Hsinchu, or Miaoli can register at our school.
Q: Where can I get recruitment information about your school?
- You will find admissions and recruitment information on our school website.
- You can call 03-5296380 (EXT. 135) and ask for the Parents' Service Department.